A Travellerspoint blog

Day Nine

Oslo- Day Two

sunny 86 °F
View Norway on GabeGirls's travel map.

Today we got to sleep in a little. For Virginia and Linda this probably meant 6:30 and for Laura and Sara this meant 8:30. Then we were off to the ferry. (We bought the Oslo pass, which gets us transportation via boat, subway, and bus.) The ferry took us out to a series of islands, which are home to most of the museums here in Oslo.


The first museum we went to was the Fram Museum. This had the strongest wooden ship that has also sailed the furthest North and South. This boat was in use between 1893 and 1912. Laura was a little freaked out by the medical instruments they had back in that day.

DSCN2521.jpg DSCN2525.jpg DSCN2522.jpg DSCN2517.jpg DSCN2271_2.jpg DSCN2270_2.jpg DSCN2269_2.jpg DSCN2268_2.jpg

Then we went across the street to the Kon-Tiki Museum. This museum focused on the Heyerdahl's expeditions. Basically these Norwegian guys thought that there had to have been a connection between South America and the Mediterranean (based on architecture). So they put together a reed boat to sail across the Atlantic to prove that it was possible. And it took the four men 105 days to make it. But it worked.


Next we caught the city bus to the (Viking Ship Museum) Museum of Cultural History. The museum had three of the best preserved Viking ships ever found. They were found in three royal burial mounds. They were buried more than 1100 years ago as vessels to 'carry the royal owners the the other side'. There were lots of tools, carts, and sleds there too. Very neat.

DSCN2538.jpg DSCN2539.jpg DSCN2533.jpg

Then we had lunch at a little kiosk. Sara had a hot dog. Laura had a panini. And Linda and Virginia had a hamburger on toast. Really it was on buttered toast.

DSCN2530.jpg DSCN2275_2.jpg

Next we went down the street to the Norsk Folk Museum. There were 155 buildings there you could just walk around and peek your head into. The people working there were dressed in the traditional Norwegian costume, the bunad. We had lefse from a woman who was in one of the traditional looking homes making it from scratch. We watched her roll it out and then put it over the open fire. It was the best we've had. Of course we put lots of butter on it. Don't worry we got the recipe. We tryed the Norwegian version of a Kit Kat; they have much better chocolate here. :)

DSCN2546.jpg DSCN2552.jpg DSCN2553.jpg DSCN2557.jpg DSCN2559.jpg DSCN2561.jpg DSCN2293_2.jpg DSCN2289_2.jpg DSCN2287_2.jpg
DSCN2285_2.jpg DSCN2284_2.jpg DSCN2281_2.jpg

Then we caught the ferry back to Oslo and got ready for dinner.


We took the subway and connected with a public bus as we made our way out of Oslo and up the mountain to Frogenseten. This restaurant was highly recommended by Laura's friend here in Oslo. It had great food and an amazing view over the city. Sara had duck, Virgina had pork tenderloin, and Laura and Linda had reindeer. It was all good.

DSCN2570.jpg DSCN2568.jpg DSCN2566.jpg DSCN2564.jpg

Now we're off to bed. Tomorrow is our last full day in Norway. The time has flown by.

Posted by GabeGirls 14:51 Archived in Norway

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


Hi Everyone! I have loved reading about your trip. I have been living vicariously through your narratives. Sounds like fun. Have a safe trip home. Betsy

by Betsy Potter

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint